Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The best fisher on the river



Ever try to open your pelican case and pull out your camera all in a tipsy canoe, with a student scared that he is about to take a swim in the Ausable River? Its all in a days work.

Not often do you get to see such a display. I didn't have my camera out right away for this one, but after some fumbling in the canoe I managed to get these two shots.

Our subject here is an Osprey, and with a wingspan up to 6 ft I wouldn't want to be a trout in his home range. This is the only raptor that plunges into the water feet first for fish.

I feel lucky, and have only witnessed this one other time when I was working at Shaver's Creek Environmental Center in Petersburgh PA.

This encounter came while canoeing at work (yes, I know my job is tough) on the Ausable River right here in Lake Placid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.